Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Second Doctors Appointment

Yesterday I crossed the threshold into the second trimester, which means my chances of miscarrying have gone down a LOT. However, this early in the game, I am still super nervous to go to the doctor. I mean just because I think I've made it to the safe zone doesn't mean I actually made it - some women have "missed miscarriages" where they don't have any symptoms of a miscarriage but go in to find that the baby stopped growing or the heartbeat stopped... It's not something anyone wants to think about, but it happens, and when you're pregnant, you're hyper aware of the fact that something bad could happen at any point.

Anyway, I know it sounds pessimistic, but I promise, it's pretty par for the course when you're pregnant, especially at this point because you don't really FEEL much. Most women's symptoms are going away, you can't feel the baby moving yet... With my son every time I went in to the doctor I was afraid they'd tell me it was all a big mistake, same with this one.

But, it was a pretty good doctor's appointment. First of all, I got a woman doctor, which I prefer. I'm going to a clinic so it's a crapshoot who you see, though I was able to schedule with the same doctor next time. Then she decided not to try to find the heartbeat with a doppler (which can be tricky to find this early) but to go ahead and give me an ultrasound. I got to see Sprout move for the first time! With my son, at 9 weeks he was bouncing around like crazy, but this one seems to be a calmer baby, even during this ultrasound s/he didn't move all that much.

The icing on the cake? I get to try for a VBAC! A VBAC is a vaginal birth after c-section. I thought I couldn't have one because of how they cut me - up and down. But the doctor said it didn't matter how they cut me on the outside, but on the inside. Again, I thought I was cut in a T shape, ruling a c-section out, but it turns out I was cut across, so I can try for a VBAC!

I am CRAZY excited about it.

4 comments:

  1. I understand the constant worry. Because I had two miscarriages before my children, I honestly worried every single time that I went to the bathroom that I'd find I was spotting for the first 5-6 months, and with both pregnancies. I think it's only natural to have those kinds of concerns when you know you're holding a miracle inside of you. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit anxious with both pregnancies, too. When it's something you've wanted for SO long, you just hold your breath. Hope you can do the VBAC, wasn't an option for me, cervix too narrow (TMI??sorry), but I think that delivering "regular" has a lot to do with NOT having the baby blues, which I had horribly with both. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, excited that you're excited about the VBAC & seeing your new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't respond sooner guys! I'm not getting comments emailed to me I guess, which I didn't know until now, lol. So I just thought I wasn't getting any!

    Babsie- I think spotting would have to be the worst. Sometimes I feel like I'm starting to bleed and I have to run to the bathroom. I'm so much more paranoid this go around.

    Mum- I didn't really have an issue with baby blues with Cayden, but I do feel like we had a much harder time bonding. But, that also could have been due to everything else going on (the pancreatitus, Jer's knee surgery, Cayden needing NICU.)

    Johanna- I am so excited about the VBAC. I just automatically thought it wasn't an option for me, and most doctors don't even want to try, so I think she was surprised on how quickly I was like YES!!! Though now I have a few questions for her, so we'll see if her answers change anything!

    ReplyDelete