Monday, July 19, 2010

Not having the internet stinks

But, not having cable stinks even more. It doesn't help that Cayden has been asking for Elmo non-stop. We have 3 elmo dvds, that play 3 episodes each of Elmo's world. We've watched them non-stop and I hate that little red monster. We also have Elmo in grouchland, but a.) that movie creeps me out a little, and b.) it's missing in action (and I swear, I had nothing to do with it's disappearence. As much as it creeps me out, honestly I'm so sick of watching those same 9 Elmo dvds I would put it on just for a change up.)

Luckily, we've been out of the house all weekend, so no Elmo. However, the second we walk into the house, that's what Cayden asked for. Repeatedly. He even says please without having to be prompted. Elmo has some sort of magic crack dust that he sprinkles on toddlers. Ugh.

My Mom felt bad when she found out we didn't have any cable, and she went out and bought him a few new DVDs, which was really nice. He stayed over here last night, so we haven't had the chance to watch them yet, but I really do appreciate it. She also bought him Elmo's potty time DVD, as well as Elmo's big kid underpants. While watching the DVD and wearing his big boy pants, he went into the kitchen and peed on the floor. So much for that, eh?
Let's see, what else is going on? Friday we went to the ultrasound, and I left pretty dissappointed. Sprout looks healthy, which of course is first and foremost, but they had issues measuring certain things, so while the lady insisted over and over that she didn't think anything was wrong, they want me to come back. I love the fact that I get another peek at Sprout, buuuuuut, a.) it makes me nervous that they for sure can't tell me that everything's OK. Dumb, I know, but I've been uber paranoid this whole pregnancy. b.) The lady could not confirm that Sprout is in fact, a boy. She actually said "I saw no boy parts." Yet, she couldn't confirm girl either. I know some people think this should make me happy - because now I can once again hope for my girl. But I don't want hope - I just want to know. I was getting used to the fact that I was having my second boy, and now I'm back in "I don't know" land. Not to mention - the 20 week ultrasound is NOT just for finding out the sex. It's the anatomy scan, where they will look for sex, but it's not an important factor. They're measuring things, making sure things like the kidneys look good and such. So I'm terrified that I'll go back at 25 weeks when they want me back, and they still won't be able to tell. And then I'll be stuck not really knowing until birth.

It's, of course not the worst thing to happen, but now I don't want to buy anything, or redecorate what I thought would be the boy's room since we aren't for sure. However, I do suppose nothing in life is for sure. So. I dunno.

Saturday we took Cayden to the zoo for the kids fair they were having. The zoo has a lot of neat events like this - fall fest, boo at the zoo (where the kids dress up and visit candy stations around the zoo), eggs, paws, and claws (an easter thing at the zoo) Still, this was the best one yet, and we got a bunch of free stuff, which is nice. Cayden had a good time, and we got to see the baby gorilla the zoo took in. At it's old zoo, it got beat up by the other gorilla's, and actually lost a foot because of it. This baby is so sweet, it's one of those "awww, I want one!" animals.

Sunday we took Cayden to COSI, the children's museum, to see the farm exhibit they had. It was OK, but it was hot, the exhibit was outside, and after the hot day we spent at the zoo, I was pretty wiped out. I thought the construction exhibit they had was better, but it was still worth it, and fun.

Tonight we're hitting up the county fair with Cayden. In a few weeks the Ohio State Fair is in town, and we're hoping to have enough money to go. We'll have friends in town. Then for my sister's birthday, she wants to go to the zoo's waterpark - it's expensive, but she has a buy one get one free coupon, and she's nice enough to pay for herself and get one of us in for free, and then a few months ago we went to a vacation show and one a free ticket, so for us it'll be free, which is nice. It stinks that I'm pregnant and won't be able to do the waterslides, but it'll be neat to take a look around and see if it's worth asking for a membership for my birthday or something.


That about sums it up. We didn't get any pictures of Sprout at the ultrasound - most of them were measurement pictures, so not really interesting. I have pictures of Cayden over the weekend, but I'm on my Mom's work laptop and can't upload them.

7 comments:

  1. You should check your local freecycle yahoo group for kids movies that people are giving away--may give you a reprieve from Elmo...Also, your library probably has a great selection of kiddie dvds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Griffin, we had three months of Kung Fu Panda ("Peenda!"). THREE MONTHS! And he had to watch it every. single. day. Sometimes twice or 'thrice' a day. If he didn't get to see it, there would be a melt down. In the last two and a half months or so, it's been Toy Story 2 ("Buzz! Oody!"). Although, in the past couple of weeks we've been watching Kung Fu Panda, Toy Story 2, and Happy Feet ("Pen-gin!"). And, if by some miracle, he doesn't ask for a movie, we watch Cartoon Network.

    But I totally feel the pain of watching the same movie over and over again. When we moved here 3 months ago we didn't have cable for two weeks and it was the longest two weeks of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why dont you just stop having your child watch tv? and do something more intelligent for him like reading books or playing outside or building blocks, anything besides tv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out your local library and hopefully they will have different Elmo movies for Cayden, plus you can grab some for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. babsie- I always forget about freecycle. And we have other movies, it's just that he only wants elmo. And I can't stand the sound of elmo's voice anymore.

    jilly- please tell me this won't last for months on end! Everything that's red is "elmo" ugh!

    spanish- I don't know if you meant too, but you sound a little judgemental there. I know a lot of parents don't let their kids watch tv, and relly I applaud them s I can't do it. Like I said in this blog entry, this weekend (and usually every weekend) we're running around doing things for cayden - like a trip to the zoo, the local splash park, or cosi (the childrens museum) it gets tricky because money is super short and even when something is free we have to factor in gas (and cosi we have to pat for parking) but we spend the majority of our wekends out. Which, it's hot right now, so it takes a lot for me to go walk around all day in the heat. Then every night we're outside playing - usually from about the time dinner ends till bedtime. Caydens new best friend lives behind us, so we usually hang with them. And then it's books before bed time. I feel like I do an awful lot for and with my child. But if mommy needs an hour to catch up on laundry or do the dishes, mommy is going to pull out elmo. And this mommy doesn't see anything wrong with that, other than the fact that the sound of elmos voice is working her nerves, lol.

    and kelly- I will have to check the livrary. It's weird tho, I'm not really a movie person. Idk I'd rather read a book? Lol. I just have to be in a mood for a movie.

    sorry for all the typos. I'm on my phone and the format is odd and makes it hard to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you enjoy redecorating and wanted to do it for fun (regardless of whether it's a boy or not), you could use greens or other gender-neutral colors and animals. Think about the types of things they might have at doctors' offices or preschools. Of course this would take time and thought and money, but if that's something you enjoy, don't let the uncertainty stop you! Sounds like it could be a fun summer project :) It'll probably be easier now than later when the baby bump gets bigger and when it's even hotter out (depending whether you have a/c).

    Would an elmo stuffed animal or sock-puppet satisfy his Elmo-obsession? Or an elmo-coloring book? Sounds like hard work to keep a kid entertained all day, esp since he's too old to be taking naps every few hours!

    A friend who is a military wife managed to snag a lot of great toys and playsets for her boys from people on base whose kids had outgrown them. (One of her boys is just under a year, and the other is probably 2.5 right now - she had two in two years!) Maybe you can check Craigslist or, I don't know, Goodwill-type places for free or cheap toys. I think you said at some point that you don't go to church regularly, but a lot of times people who have stuff to give away will let the pastor or children's ministry staff know, so if there's one in your neighborhood that might be a place to check. I guess I'm just suggesting this in response to you / spanisheyez's TV discussion. Some of my friends didn't let their kids watch any TV at all until they were like 2, while others' kids have fave shows when they're much younger than that. I guess it's balancing act...?

    I second the library tip! Air conditioning, endless supplies of books & movies & music, computer access / internet, children's programs (maybe that'll keep Cayden entertained for a bit while you go do your own thing).

    ReplyDelete
  7. For my son it was Barney. Totally obsessed. Daughter was not so bad into Teletubbies that's about it. And for my 2 cents there is nothing wrong with TV unless you watch it from the time you get up until the time you go to bed. Everything in moderation. Laura Just so you know Rowdy posted on her blog.

    ReplyDelete