Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sometimes my children annoy me. You're never supposed to say that as a Mom. You're supposed to talk about how wonderful having kids are, how much joy they bring to your life, and all that mushy stuff. But sometimes, I can't stand my kids. I can't put a spin on Eli's crying jags, and Cayden at two and a half is the most frustrating person I've ever met in my entire life (and I've met some frustrating people.) Sometimes, I want a break, I want to not be Mommy for a day, I want to put myself first, and not have to worry about getting someone a juice, or a water, or a diaper change. Some days I want to not have to dress three people, or get three people ready to go out the door. Some days I would like to eat a meal while it's still hot, and not get interrupted once. I would die of happiness, I think, if I got a full nights sleep without a single voice crying out and waking me up.

I had to say that, because it's Mother's day. And on Mother's day I feel like sometimes women want to go on and on about their children and how great they are. And children are great. Cayden may be the most frustrating person I've ever met, but he makes me laugh, every day. Eli's crying jags suck, but they do end, and his smiles are the best smiles I've ever seen a baby make. People stop me on the street to tell me how beautiful my kids are, and I literally beam, because they are gorgeous little people, and sometimes I am shocked an amazed that I made them, that they came from me, that they are apart of me.

So why concentrate on the bad? I don't think I'm concentrating on it. I think I'm merely acknowledging the fact that we have mother's day not to say "hey, look how great my kids are!" but to say hey! Sometimes being a mom sucks, but you hang in there and still do what you gotta do, and you are AMAZING for that.

I have carried a baby for 10 months, shared my body. I've had my body cut open in order to bring them into this world. I have been pooped on, peed on, bled on, vomited on, and once even vomited blood on (that was a fun day) I haven't gotten a full nights sleep in at least 5 months now (probably longer than that), I have been hit, kicked, and bit. Sometimes I feel like more like a survivor of war than a Mother. I've sat up all night worrying about a fever and a cough, I have tip toed into rooms to check to make sure little bodies were covered and chests were still rising and falling. I can make a bottle with one hand, and change a diaper with one hand. I am a master at playing cars, an expert hot dog maker, and a cartoon critic. I've danced in living rooms to no music and hidden under tents made of blankets. I've chased away monsters, shared my bed, nursed boo-boos.

I do have to give my children some credit. Without them, I not only would not be a mom (obviously) but I don't think I'd be the person I am today. Putting someone else first all the time requires a selflessness that I didn't have. Having kids also forces you to celebrate and appreciate the little things. Sure, I don't get a full nights sleep anymore, but I have such an amazing reason to drag myself out of bed the next morning. Date nights may be few and far between, but being stuck at home as never been more fun.

Anyway, that was a bunch of babbling just to say: Mom's, appreciate what you do. I understand and appreciate all that you do. Take time for yourself. And also take time to appreciate your kids. Yeah, today is about Mother's, but we Mom's never really can seem to leave our kids out of anything.

Happy mother's day! And because I keep procrastinating, here are just a few of my wonderful, beautiful boys:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Eli has gotten so big! They both look like future charmers. I hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day this year, this goes to all the other mom's out there as well.

    ReplyDelete