Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sleep

Sleep has gotten.... Interesting.

Eli slept the best he's ever slept the other night (barring the night of the shots, where he only woke up once because I woke him up) I thought it might be permanent. It hasn't been. We also have another issue. He sleeps a LOT better in his rock and play (for those of you who don't have any idea what this is, it's like a bouncy seat that is taller and safe for sleeping. If you don't know what a bouncy seat is, google it, ha ha) I believe he sleeps better there because it's inclined. The issue is, is it has a weight limit of either 20 or 26 lbs (I can't remember off the top of my head) I'd rather him get used to his crib before we can't use it anymore. Now, if I thought it was just a "I need to get used to it" issue, I would probably just tough it out. But, with his reflux, I think he needs to sleep sitting more inclined. Also, when he lays in his crib, he tends to get more congested, which the doctor said is common in reflux babies - especially ones that spit up a lot, which he does. So, he lays in his crib, doesn't sleep well in it, and then sleeps even worse when he gets congested.

We did incline the mattress, but we can't incline it to the same degree as his rock and play, and so I just don't think it does much good. Not sure what else to do. I guess we'll rock and play it for now and hope he grows out of his reflux before he grows out of his rock and play.

Cayden and sleep... Ugh. Just ugh. I know Mum asked about nightmares/night terrors. Cayden has both - he's had night terrors since he was a baby. Night terrors differ from nightmares because a child/person will scream and LOOK terrified, but will be REALLY hard to wake up (and actually, you're not supposed to wake up, as usually that will only prolong things) They have no recollection of being scared/know what scares them. From what I've read about them, it has to do with sleep cycles and stuff I think. Nightmares are obviously dreams that scare them. Cayden's had a few of these (and the more nightmares he has, the less he seems to do the whole night terror thing) I don't know. We were supposed to go in for his 2 1/2 check and had to postpone it, but I plan on seriously talking to his doctor about possible sleep issues/what we can do about them.

In other news, my Mom has to go in for a heart cath tomorrow, so I better catch some sleep. But if you guys could keep her in your thoughts/prayers, I'd appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have a boppy, those U-shape pillows that help hold up the babies when they're newborn while eating or just while you're holding them? Possibly try propping him up with that. I know when my niece had a bad sinus infection/ear infection, my sister and her husband had to alternate between propping her with a caterpillar plush toy and having her sleep in her car seat/carrier. (she just turned 1 year on St Patty's Day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Mom! My girlfriend's daughter would not sleep in anything but her car seat for like 9 months. She started putting the car seat in the crib, just so the crib would get some use! You all need your rest, so I agree, leave him where he's content. I've never experienced anything like your dealing with with Cayden. I hope it starts to improve soon. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been MIA from your blogs for a little while and was happy to catch up on both this week.

    I agree with mum that you should keep Eli in his seat if that's where he gets the best sleep. It's not good for either of you if he doesn't get the rest he needs. I babysat for a reflux baby and he got the best sleep strapped to my chest in a baby bjorn. I would wrap christmas presents, empty the dishwasher and do laundry all with a sleeping baby strapped to me. He was happy sleeping there and his mom was very happily taking a nap every time I was there.

    I don't have any suggestions for Cayden other than taking him to the doctor. He should be on a regular sleeping schedule by now and he clearly isn't. It's time to bring the doctor into that situation.

    Are you still living with your Mom? What about jobs, are you and Jeremy both still working?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've talked to the doctor several times, and she doesn't think it's a big deal, but I plan to kind of "forcing" her into telling me something. I just don't think it's normal at all.

    We are still living with my Mom. Neither Jer or I are working. Jer is still looking for work, but he went back to school for nursing. I'm enrolled to start next quarter.

    ReplyDelete